Funny and Inspiring Psychology Quotations

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. – Carl Jung, psychologist and theorist

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others. – Pericles, leader and orator of ancient Greece

Street life
What will you weave into the lives of others?

Photo: Street Life by Mimi_K from flickr.com

Much of what we feel is hidden from us, Freud said, but even so these secret, even sinister aspects of our psyches reveal themselves regardless. This photo is in the public domain.
Much of what we feel is hidden from us, Freud believed, but even so these secret, even sinister aspects of our psyches reveal themselves regardless. This photo is in the public domain.

Freud is the father of psychoanalysis. It has no mother. – Germaine Greer, writer and feminist

When I look at the world I’m pessimistic, but when I look at people I am optimistic. – Carl Rogers, humanist psychologist

The only person who is educated is the one who has learned how to learn and change. – Carl Rogers, humanist psychologist

A child, as Piaget showed, thinks in a qualitatively different way from an adult.

It’s just that no adult ever had the idea of asking children about conservation. It was so obvious that if you change the shape of an object, the quantity will be conserved. Why ask a child? The novelty lay in asking the question. – Piaget, 1970

(To read the whole interview with Piaget, go to http://www.abrae.com.br/

entrevistas/entr_pia.htm .)

potato from clker.comThe actualizing tendency can be thwarted, but cannot be destroyed without destroying the organism. I remember that in my boyhood the potato bin in which we stored our winter supply of potatoes was in the basement, several feet below a small basement window. The conditions were unfavorable, but the potatoes would begin to sprout–pale white sprouts so unlike the healthy green shoots they sent up when planted in the soil in the spring. But these sad, spindly sprouts would grow two or three feet in length as they reached toward the distant light of the window. They were, in their bizarre futile growth, a sort of desperate expression of the directional tendency I have been describing. They would never become a plant, never mature, never fulfil their real potentiality. But under the most adverse circumstances they were striving to become. Life would not give up even if it could not flourish. In dealing with clients whose lives have been terribly warped, in working with men and women on the back wards of state hospitals, I often think of those potato sprouts. So unfavorable have been the conditions in which these people have developed that their lives often seem abnormal, twisted, scarcely human. Yet the directional tendency in them is to be trusted. – Carl Rogers, humanist psychologist

Smalti Kylie, Rolf and friends
The intriguing mosaic of humanity…

Photo: Smalti Kylie, Rolf and Friends, kindly provided by Mimi_K at flickr.com

The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own destiny. – Albert Ellis, psychologist and writer

gez with wings
Freud, despite his faults, viewed people and their role in society in a way that has had a powerful impact on human thought and the discipline of psychology.

The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization. – Sigmund Freud

Photo: Gez with Wings byMimi_K at flickr.com

One Reply to “Funny and Inspiring Psychology Quotations”